I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Marie Corfield For NJ Assembly: A Request For All Of My Readers



I don't ask for much from my readers: I've never held a blog fundraiser, I don't have any swag for you to buy, and I don't promote causes. But this one time, I am going to ask you to do something for yourself and every other person who supports public education:

On July 25th, please give what you can to support Marie Corfield For New Jersey Assembly by participating in her "Money Bomb."

Let's be clear: there is no greater threat to public education in New Jersey (and, I would suggest, the entire country) than Chris Christie. This bullying, blustering tool of wealthy interests has put a target on the back of every teacher in New Jersey. He has overseen a stunning, disgusting retreat from school funding adequacy and fairness, all while blaming teachers for his own failings as a leader.

I believe in Barbara Buono and will do whatever it takes to get her elected. But even if she beats Christie, she's going to need allies in the Assembly. And if she loses, public education needs someone in Trenton who will fight Christie's destructive rule and represent the interests of teachers, parents, and especially children.

There is no one in this state better qualified for that job than Marie Corfield. A mother, a teacher, and an activist, Marie has shown time and again that she has the smarts and the guts to go toe-to-toe with anyone who would threaten our children's schools.

Not only that: Marie has a plan for real property tax relief that helps the middle class, and not the super-rich. She'll promote real job growth, an area where Christie has utterly failed. She'll protect the environment, and she'll fight to bring marriage equity to a state where the majority of citizens want it.

Teachers in New Jersey are always asking me: "What can we do to fight back?" Here's your answer: pledge to support Marie Corfield's "Money Bomb" on July 25th.

It's this simple: go to Marie's Facebook page, and pledge to give support in any amount to her campaign when she drops her "Money Bomb" on July 25th. You'll get reminders to come back and make a donation on the big day.

If you'd rather just give right now, that's simple as well: go to Marie's donation page and give whatever you can. It will take less than two minutes, and you'll know you are an important part of the fight to save our public schools.

Many, many thanks to all of you for helping Marie Corfield stand up for the rest of us!




2 comments:

Deb said...

Whole heartedly agree Duke! I am fighting for Buono and equally as hard for Marie - we need to fill the legislator one educator at a time to not just defend public education but also to work for the entire middle class ignored and maligned by our Governor.

JOIN US FOR THE MONEY BOMB ON JULY 25th!

Marie said...

Thank you so much, Duke, for your kind words and your support. When I ran last year, I only needed to pick up about 450 more votes to defeat a Tea Party incumbent whose campaign was helped by an independent expenditure from B4K, a branch of Michelle Rhee's Students First. The margin of victory was, ironically, about 1%. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy effectively shut down the entire state the week before the election. My race wasn't certified until the end of November.

Up and down the ticket, we need to elect people who not only understand public education, but who also understand its importance to a strong democracy and a thriving middle class, and its deep connection to other social issues like the economy, poverty, women's and children's health, homelessness, abuse, hunger, the environment and unemployment.

My opponents have a clear track record of voting against all these issues.

I want to bring a progressive voice to the 16th district, which hasn't had one in almost 20 years. My opponents vote in lockstep with whatever Gov. Christie wants. I stood up to him in 2010; I'm not afraid to stand up to him when I'm elected in November.