I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Friday, July 8, 2011

You're Going To Have To Do Better, Sen. Sweeney

This is not nearly good enough:
That's some really mealy-mouthed crap. And, Senator Sweeney, you've lost all chances for us to give you the benefit of the doubt.

What I want to hear is this:
I am sick and tired of teachers taking the blame for everything that has gone wrong in this state. They didn't get us in this mess, and we damn sure aren't going to get out without their help. They've already sacrificed plenty: their pensions, their benefits, their raises. Enough. You want to make tenure hearings happen faster - something the NJEA wants - fine. You want a few more charters, closely regulated, fine. But, as long as I'm the President of the Senate, we're not doing anything else to teachers until you prove to me, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it will benefit students. 
Oh, and let's make Bruce Baker Commissioner of Education. And read Jersey Jazzman.
Say that, Senator - and back it up - and almost everything is forgiven.

Until then, I just don't trust you.

2 comments:

CommutingTeacher said...

My eyes skipped the "What I want to hear is this" part and I read the rest and my heart actually skipped a beat. Then I reread it all again because some things are too good to be true as this was. Mr. Jazzman, you should be paid to write that particular press release for Sweeney. If this were to be said AND backed up, that would be a strong start.

Duke said...

I may take the job just for the summer! Senator, email me...