I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Friday, February 11, 2011

My Commenters Rock

Thinker nails it:
How can we reward success when we can rarely look at one thing long enough to figure out if it has been successful or not? We are all so busy running after the newer/bigger/better/faster/stronger model that we never pause to even see if the old model worked. And in this climate, we ask teachers to get kids to learn-a process which usually involves focusing on something (a book, a math problem...whatever) for more than 4.5 seconds. Adults ask kids to do what they themselves usually won't do.

When did we stop rewarding accomplishment and opt instead to reward only "surface" things regardless of whether or not they are even warranted-looks, confidence, pretty words, lofty promises, etc. When will we start thinking again? [Emphasis mine]
It really is astonishing that Michele Rhee - the media-appointed savior and martyr of education "reform" - has no demonstrable record of success.

I wish I knew the answer to Thinker's question. I fear that things will have to get much, much worse before enough people finally start challenging the propaganda being slathered on them. I hope I'm wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get involved with the effort to recall Chris Christie: http://on.fb.me/f2QCFp

thinker said...

Wow, I feel so honored to be quoted! Thanks Duke :)

Sadly, I think you are right. Things are going to have to get very bad before people open their eyes.

Duke said...

Honor's mine, my friend.